Penelope at 6 weeks



I cannot believe I have been a mommy now for 6 weeks, and sometimes it feels like she has been with us for a lot longer than that. She amazes me more and more every single day. I love the way she looks at her dad when he lays with her in the evenings, and the way she cries for me when she’s hungry. There are so many things that have changed for us, and I couldn’t be more happier with our little family. There are many times when we think about her growing up and think about when we can put her in hockey, or what university we’re going to put her in and the trips we can all take as a family… but then I think how fleeting these newborn moments are. I feel even more passionate about being in the moment, and observing every second I can (I recently started filming her first weeks). I know a schedule isn’t for everyone, but I am someone who NEEDS routine. I have included our attempt at a routine with a newborn, because we all know a 6 week old baby doesn’t really have a routine yet but it doesn’t mean us as parents cant have one. 

HOW WELL DO WE SLEEP?
Two days ago Penelope slept for 6 hours for the first time! We couldn’t believe what time it was when she woke up. However, she usually sleeps in 4 hour stretches now. Our sleeping arrangements are either having her sleep in her ‘Dock-A-Tot’, or in a side-laying nursing position at night (completely safe of course). She loves to sleep in her Zipadee-Zip sleep sac, which also makes us feel better that she won’t be able to scratch her face at night. 

HOW IS BREASTFEEDING GOING?
We are now exclusively breastfeeding, and I have been taking “Fenugreek“ and drinking Mama’s Milk Tea for just over a week now, and I swear it works. I have been able to pump 3 oz each side! We took one night off breast feeding for a girlfriends birthday party so mama can have a glass of wine or two and honestly I hated every second of it. All I wanted  was to be with my baby, feeding her. 

HOW MUCH DOES SHE WEIGH AND HOW LONG IS SHE?
She is already 9 lbs 12oz (at birth she was 6lbs 13oz), and I can not believe how fast she went through her ‘premie’ outfits. Her newborn ones are going to be too small very soon. Penelope had her final midwife visit today, and is “thriving” and healthy! She is measuring 55 inches now (52 inches at birth). 
HOW DO I FEEL NOW?
The first few weeks I was on a high! I have never in my life felt so happy, and so in love. That feeling is definitely still there, just I am a little more aware of reality now. I have been so happy and tired all at the same time, but we’re doing great. I love being her mommy more than I have ever loved anything in my entire existence.  

WHAT WE WANT TO ACCOMPLISH AS PARENTS?
Tony and I agree on almost everything when it comes to parenting, and what our goals are as parents. It has only been 6 weeks, but we have established a very good routine that I believe will benefit her for her entire life. We co-sleep, breastfeed and have lots of mommy, daddy, baby-skin-to-skin time. 

HOW HAS OUR RELATIONSHIP CHANGED?
I think as new parents everyone goes through a million emotions and sometimes being tired catches up to you. We have bickered a few times, but for the most part we are both so content and in love with our little baby and each other, that we find ways to fall in love with each other and our new roles as parents every day. However, we do have our moments and just like any other new parent it can be hard with hormones, scheduling and time for ourselves. I never doubt that we will be just fine as our family grows more in the coming years. 

OUR SCHEDULE 
7:30 - 8: My wakeup call is Penelope needing to feed, and we usually start our day together. During the week daddy leaves for work, and on weekend we lay in bed together and talk to her. 

9-10: She lays awake with us in bed, or I sit her in her chair while I get ready for the day. 

11:00: She usually needs another feed, followed by a nap.  

2-3:00: Repeats a feed, and a nap.

5-7:00: Start our night time routine that we begin with spending it doing tummy time, or laying with daddy who watches sports while I cook and clean. 

8-9:00: Bath time (which is her favourite), followed by a baby massage and she gets in her sleep sack and she’s ready to be nursed and put to bed. 

11:00: Wakes up wanting to be fed, and put back to bed. 

3:00 am: Wakes up to be fed and put back to bed.   

5:00 am: Will wake up one more time before we start our morning again. 


Comments

back to top